Nowadays, eSports have gained a lot of popularity all over the world. Competitive video games now have their own leagues and tournaments with considerable prize pools. Moreover, there are a lot of fans from all over the globe who closely follow everything that’s happening in the eSports world.
Sources, such as Esprts, for example, provide fans with all sorts of information ranging from wagering odds to match updates so that fans can remain well-informed. That said, many people are also streaming video content regarding eSports games on channels like YouTube or Twitch.
Needless to say, they make a good income from doing so. If you’re interested in becoming an eSports streamer, you’ll have a lot of work to do if you wish to stand out in this crowded market. With that in mind, here are a few things you’ll need to become an eSports streamer.
Get an awesome setup
Every streamer needs high-quality equipment to not only produce awesome content but to stream it to fans around the globe in real-time. This is actually more demanding than it seems. Of course, such equipment is quite expensive, but it should be considered an investment.
After all, you will be making money out of streaming should you wish to do so. Therefore, equip yourself with the best setup possible so that you can begin your streaming career. Here are a few things you will need.
- A PC with state-of-the-art performance capabilities.
- A high-quality camera.
- A high-quality microphone.
- Internet connection with a really fast bandwidth and stable connection.
- Proper lighting.
- Audio and video encoding software.
This doesn’t seem like much, but professional equipment is, in fact, necessary and thus expensive. What type of devices you’ll use comes down to personal preferences, but everything must be great if you want to be a great streamer.
Decide which type of content to produce
Most of the time, eSports streamers do pretty much what you’d imagine, which is stream video games. However, it’s never as simple as that, unfortunately. Producing video game content isn’t something you should be taken lightly.
Yes, many people prefer to watch streamers play different video games, but you should consider making your content unique, exciting, and enjoyable in the first place. Therefore, the content you produce doesn’t have to be about eSports games all the time.
You can showcase other video games as well. That being said, consider making how-to guides, beginner guides, testing out different builds, and so on. As long as your content is video-game-oriented, you’ll be fine. When it comes to content quality, here are a few things you should consider.
- Ensure that your content is informative, educational, and entertaining.
- Your content must be highly relevant to your audience.
- Ask your viewers for feedback. They will tell you what type of content they’d like to see.
- Make it unique with your own approach and twist.
Start a streaming channel
Basically, your streaming channel can be perceived as your very own business while your streaming content is your product. Starting a streaming channel is, therefore, of vital importance. Platforms like Twitch are ideal for starting your streaming channel.
That said, you should consider starting a YouTube channel as well. That way, you can stream your content on two different platforms, which means reaching out to a broader audience and having two revenue streams, among other things.
However, simply having a streaming channel is not enough. You have to promote your channel so that you can attract your target audience and boost your viewership. That being said, treat your channel as a business and start leveraging good old digital marketing. Here are a few things you should consider.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) – This cost-effective marketing strategy will help you promote your channel organically. That means more organic traffic and more qualified leads. In other words, you’ll attract people who are already interested in the type of content you create.
- Social media marketing – Social media platforms are an ideal channel for boosting your visibility, exposure, and credibility as a streamer. You can share content with your audience and establish a meaningful relationship with them.
- Email marketing – Email marketing is one of the most effective marketing strategies even today. You can build your email list and send newsletters to your subscribers to inform them about the new content releases, updates, and news. This will also help you boost views every time you release new content.
- PPC (Pay-Per-Click) – This marketing strategy is ideal for getting viable results fast. You basically pay providers like Google or Facebook to promote your ads. You can select a specific message for a specific audience using the right keywords. This can help you get viewers faster than organic methods, but it will cost you to do so.
It seems like you must put a lot of effort into your streaming channels which are partially true. However, once the marketing strategies are in place, you’ll realize that the effort was well worth it.
Create a website and blog
Streaming video games is just part of the show. If you want to be a successful eSports streamer, you’ll have to think outside the box. Although you’re not competing against other streamers, it’s always a good idea to position yourself so that you can attract the most viewers.
Therefore, aside from having a streaming channel, you might consider creating a website and blog. Your website will serve as a medium for attracting viewers and engaging with them on a more personal level.
You can also link your streaming channels to your website so that your target audience can easily find the content they want to see. Furthermore, a blog will serve as a content directory your fans can explore, as well as a channel where you can provide fans with content that isn’t in video format.
Articles and blog posts are a good way to keep your audience engaged while you’re not streaming anything at the moment. Your fans will be satisfied as long as they have some form of content to engage with.
That’s why content formats like blog posts are ideal for keeping them entertained and encouraging them to engage in discussions and conversations related to the topic or news in your blog posts or articles.
Becoming an eSports streamer is not easy at all. It’s an investment that requires a lot of work and effort. However, once you get started, it is pretty much downhill from there. Video game streams, especially ones related to eSports, are highly sought-after. That said, you get to play video games and earn some profit in the process.