Smart homes are homes that incorporate home automation and technology into their infrastructure in a way that allows optimizing the ecosystem in which people live in terms of light, heat, water, energy consumption, etc.
The homes of the future will be remotely controllable thanks to a hub that centralizes all devices and helps monitor the different automated areas of the home. Any device in your home that uses electricity can be put on your home network and at your command. You can control them by giving the command by voice, remote control, tablet, or smartphone. Most applications relate to lighting, home security, home theater and entertainment, and thermostat regulation.
All of this is possible due to the success of smartphones and tablet computers. These are portable computers, constantly connected to the internet, which means they can be configured to control other online devices. This is called the Internet of Things. This phrase refers to the objects and products that are interconnected and identifiable through digital networks.
Smart lighting is a lighting technology for smart homes. It is an advanced way to light a home, with smart light LED bulbs that contain software that connects to an app, or other smart software, so people can automate the lights of their homes or control them remotely, eliminating the need for traditional wall switches.
Smart lighting gives you far more control over your lights than traditional lighting. They are still connected to your home’s power, but each smart light allows you to control it wirelessly with your phone, tablet, or smart assistant.
These smart lights can make decisions, follow schedules, and most of them come with smart features like changing colors, set reminders, and more.
It is important to clarify that many of these features, except dimming and color-changing, can be achieved by connecting ordinary bulbs to a smart plug as well.
Smart lighting advantages
This system offers several advantages, it is not only limited to facilitating the remote control of the lights. Let´s take a look at some of them.
* Energy efficiency: Smart light bulbs help to save electricity because they generate less heat than the original light bulbs. They also last much longer. In addition, users can set schedules, control brightness, and other features that help save electricity and reduce cost.
* Automation: Smart lights can be configured individually or as a group, allowing people to set timers that automatically turn off all the lights at a specific time. Or configure them to turn on and off when they are far away from home, on a trip, or similar, mimicking their presence.
* Convenience: The system can be set to turn on the lights in a room by motion. Motion-based lights can detect motion and turn on automatically. This means you can walk into the kitchen at night and the lights will turn on as you walk in.
* Easily dimmable: Unlike traditional lights, this system doesn´t require electrical installation to use a dimmer switch to control the lights. You can dim the lights through the app.
* Connectivity: You can synchronize your smart lights with other connected devices like cameras, audio equipment, and thermostats to create an entire smart home and create a certain mood in the room. Plus, you can see their status from anywhere. So, if you went out of the house and you are not sure if you turned off the lights, you can check it from your phone in a second.
* Customization: Most smart lights have features to change intensity and colors. This means that users can create ambiance according to the occasion within seconds. Whether they are using warm-to-cool white light or color LED lights and all they have to do is tap a button.
Communication technology used in smart lighting
Smart lighting systems can be connected through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
Wi-Fi: The lights are connected to the internet using Wi-Fi routers and can be controlled remotely, but the system doesn´t work if the internet connection is not available.
Bluetooth: The lights can be controlled by using BLE-enabled smartphones. To control Bluetooth-smart lights remotely it is necessary a Bluetooth hub, which is used to connect the Bluetooth-connected devices to the internet.